Thursday 25 August 2011

NASRI: MANCHESTER CITY SWITCH IS A PASSION THRILLER


25th August 2011


SAMIR NASRI last night sealed his £24m move to the ‘Galacticos’ of Manchester City – and fi red a parting shot at crisis-hit Arsenal.

Frenchman Samir Nasri put the boot into his old employers by questioning why Arsenal held up his switch and moaned that he was forced to miss out on pre- season with Roberto Mancini’s stellar squad.

And the midfi elder, who has agreed a fouryear deal on £185,000-a-week wages, wasn’t fi nished there after claiming the Gunners fans had lost their passion since relocating to the Emirates in 2006.

Nasri said: “I said to the manager I wanted to leave – I wanted that from the start.

“I stayed for the whole pre-season, but I wanted to do it with Manchester City so I got to know my team-mates.

“I was a little frustrated. But fi nally I’m a Man City player and that’s what I wanted from the start, so I’m really happy.”

After ending his three-year stay with Arsenal, Nasri turned on his old fans in a move that has proved far more acrimonious than Cesc Fabregas’ exit to Barcelona.

Fresh from blasting the Arsenal supporters on Twitter, the 24-year-old claimed fans of his new team are more vocal than the ones he has left behind.

He said: “Arsenal have good fans, but they are not that passionate since they moved from Highbury to the Emirates.

“I remember when we lost 3-0 to Man City and the crowd was amazing.

“That’s what I want when I play football – a good atmosphere. The fans are passionate and they remind me a little of Marseille.”

Nasri is the latest piece in Mancini’s jigsaw that is destined to challenge neighbours Manchester United for the Premier League title.

The world-class squad assembled sees Nasri add to the attacking armoury – including David Silva, Edin Dzeko, Sergio Aguero and the wantaway Carlos Tevez – that has plundered seven goals in their opening two games. And Nasri says he has joined the new ‘Galacticos’.

He added: “In France they call Man City the Galacticos, like it was with Real Madrid, when Zidane and Ronaldo and everyone was there.

“When you arrive at the club, you want to play with big players, like Silva and Aguero.

“In the fi rst game Aguero played he scored twice and had an assist. I love those kind of players.

“They are not tall, like me, but have quick feet and good technique who like to play.

“When you play with someone like this, you want to have a connection with them.

“There’s also Yaya Toure, Edin Dzeko or Carlos Tevez, if he stays, so you are just happy to be in the dressing room and I can’t wait to play with them.”

To rub a fi nal salt into the wounds of Gunners fans, Nasri cites former Arsenal favourite Patrick Vieira as the driving force behind his long drawn out switch to the Etihad Stadium.

He added: “I spoke with Kolo Toure and Gael Clichy here, and also with Patrick.

“It was important to get advice from players who have played for the club and know the difference between Arsenal and Man City. And you have to listen to this guy (Vieira) when you see his career. Patrick told me that Man City is the place to be because it’s the club of the future.

“They want to win everything and have a big, big project.”

Mancini hailed the signing of Nasri after fi nally capturing his man after fi ve years in waiting.

The City chief says he wanted to sign Nasri, who was starring for Marseille at the time, during his time in the Inter Milan hot-seat. But after missing out on the rough diamond, he says he has been worth the wait now he has been polished up under Gunners boss Arsene Wenger in the Premier League.

He said: “I think he is a fantastic player. He has technique and a great mentality.

“I remember when he played for Marseille and I was at Inter.

“I wanted to take him fi ve years ago. But after four years in the Premier League he has improved a lot and is now a top player.

“It’s exciting. He’s can play through the middle or on the wing. He is still young and for the club’s future it’s good.”

No comments:

Post a Comment