Friday 4 November 2011

Man Utd defender Evans grateful to Ferguson for not dumping him after derby red

Fri, 11/04/2011

Manchester United defender Jonny Evans admits he's gutted over his derby dismissal againstManchester City.

Evans is determined the sending-off won’t wreck his improved form this term – and is adamant his foul on Mario Balotelli a minute after half-time, that left the champions down to 10-men, wasn’t the sole reason they suffered such a heavy loss.

“I felt guilty for the fans because obviously it is not nice,” said Evans. “I am a United fan myself. I know the hurt that was felt by the people who follow United around everywhere.

“It was a red card at the end of the day but when you go down to 10 men, you still don’t expect to concede five goals. I don’t think going down to 10 men means you are going to concede five goals in a game.

“I didn’t think I would let it get to me. Maybe last season I had one or two games where I let it get to me. I am stronger mentally now. I am more equipped to deal with those situations.

“Last year I had one or two games where I let my confidence go a little bit. You have to stay strong in those situations.”

He added: “After the red card, it was nice the manager stuck with me. I feel like my performances have been good this season. One red card doesn’t make you a bad player all of a sudden.

“I didn’t feel like I would be used as a scapegoat. I felt the manager would make an honest decision of the game and pick whatever he felt was his strongest team going into the Everton game.

“You have to accept it. I am not the type of player who would sulk about it if I got dropped. He is the greatest British manager of all time. Whatever decision he takes, I will happily take that.”

No comments:

Post a Comment