Friday 4 November 2011

Man Utd ace Rooney on England red: I don't know why I did it

Fri, 11/04/2011

Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney can't explain his actions in being sent off for England last month.

Rooney spoke for the first time about the red card for his foul on Miodrag Dzudovic that led to his three-match ban and admitted it was "stupid".

He said: "Obviously it’s devastating for me but it’s my own fault so I can’t really complain.

"I honestly don’t know why I did it. It was just one of those moments which I live to regret now. It was stupid. I regretted it as soon as I did it. It’s no excuse but I still feel the punishment is a bit harsh.

"All the details we have been waiting on have come through so we’ll be making a decision as to whether we will be appealing. Even if it’s reduced by one game, it will be a bonus."

Rooney accepts missing the two friendlies.

"It’s down to the manager now to play other players," he said. "I want to be there and I want to be part of the team.

"But I’ll understand if I’m not in the next squad because I’ll be missing out on those first three games at the minute and he has to look at other players — it’s as simple as that."

No comments:

Post a Comment