Saturday 6 August 2011

Man City coach Kidd: How Man Utd snapped up Scholes

06.08.11 | tribalfootball.com



Manchester City coach Brian Kidd has revealed how he managed to sign Paul Scholes for Manchester United.
Scholes signed off on his United career with last night’s testimonial against New York Cosmos.
Kidd told manutd.com: "When I was working at the FA in the late 1980s, I put on a course at Middleton sports centre and they kindly said I could run a five-a-side tournament, which was terrific for the local kids. Up popped Scholesy with his pals from Cardinal Langley. They had a team in it and that was the first time I saw him.
"Out of the five of them, three of the lads came to the centre of excellence: Scholesy, Dean Kirby and Paul O’Keefe. Scholesy was no size, but the ability he had was unbelievable. His awareness and his touch… what a technician, even at that tender age.
"When Sir Alex invited me back to do the local development scene at United, I was over the moon to be given the chance. I had a look through and Scholesy’s name was nowhere to be seen, so when I made enquiries I found out he was at Oldham Athletic. To be fair to Latics, they had a terrific, vibrant youth setup at the time, with really good kids there.
"We made contact through the proper channels, to see if Paul would consider coming down and having a look at what we had to offer at Manchester United."

No comments:

Post a Comment