Sunday 31 July 2011

Man Utd legend Scholes: Ferguson could have sold me in 2001

31.07.11 | tribalfootball.com



Manchester United legend Paul Scholes has recalled the time he threw a wobbler and refused to play in a League Cup tie against Arsenal in 2001.
Next Friday, United’s fans will pay tribute to one of the greatest players to wear the famous red shirt when Eric Cantona’s New York Cosmos arrive at Old Trafford for Scholes’ testimonial.
But he recalled: “I don’t know why I did what I did in 2001, but it is something I really regretted doing. I wasn’t in a great mood, I suppose. I had been left out the Liverpool game the previous weekend and I knew that the team going down to play Arsenal in the cup was basically a reserve side.
“I just got a bee in my bonnet that I wasn’t happy with things. I thought to myself: ‘I’m not going’. It was a silly thing to do, I know that.
“I had my reasons but it was ­stupid really. I ended up getting fined and having to apologise.
“But I was lucky. The manager would have been well within his rights to get rid of me.
“I mean, someone refusing to play for his team. If he had moved me out I couldn’t have had any complaint.
“I think in all my time as a ­player there was probably only one other argument I had in the dressing room because I didn’t really say a lot.
“I would only open my mouth if there was something I really disagreed with – and that probably only happened once or twice.”

No comments:

Post a Comment