Thursday 4 August 2011

Former Manchester United goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar touched by 'incredible' testimonial turnout


The Dutchman thanked his fans, family and former clubs and revealed that he expects former side Ajax to do well next season as Louis van Gaal also paid tribute to the 40-year-old 

Aug 3, 2011 4:38:00 PM 

By Harry Veal


Former Manchester United goalkeeper Edwin van der Sar admits he was overwhelmed by the turnout of fans and players at his testimonial game on Wednesday night.

The former Ajax and Manchester United goalkeeper revealed his surprise at the level of support he received on his final outing before retirement.

"This is incredible," he said. "It's fantastic and touches me. I'm not someone who likes to be in the spotlight. That you get a night like this is really incredible."

"So many fans and players I didn't expect. You realize you did something for Dutch football and United, but something like this was absolutely not in my mind," he said after leaving the pitch.

Van der Sar also thanked his family and revealed he has high hopes for Ajax next season after training with their squad on Tuesday.

"I want to thank Ajax for this incredible night," he added. "Also, a big thanks to the players of Ajax, who gave their best energy. I trained yesterday with you guys and I'm confident you will do well in the Dutch league."

Louis van Gaal also paid tribute to the Dutchman, revealing that he knew Van der Sar would have a successful career, despite an uncertain start.

"This evening is fantastic," he said. "I really didn’t think this was possible. It says something about the status of Edwin. Not only the crowd, but also so many big players [have turned out]."

"In 1995 I knew he could get a really big career, but in '92 I didn't know. Then you take a long term decision as a coach. In the first weeks he made the same mistakes as Thomas Kraft last year at Bayern, but that is logic."

No comments:

Post a Comment