Friday 22 July 2011

Wayne Rooney tips Liverpool to challenge Manchester United for Premier League title


Jul 22, 2011 3:04:00 AM  

By Andrew Kennedy

The former Everton striker believes the Reds will be among the league's top sides this season, as well as local rival Man City. 


Manchester United forward Wayne Rooney has tipped rival Liverpool to challenge for the Premier League title this season.

The Red Devils overtook Liverpool’s league title record last term, winning their 19th crown, yet the Merseyside club has heavily invested in its squad this summer, with Stewart Downing, Jordan Henderson and Charlie Adam arriving.



With the big money January signings of Andy Carroll and Luis Suarez also part of Kenny Dalglish’s Anfield revolution, Rooney believes Liverpool could push United all the way this season as it hunts for its first ever Premier League trophy.

"I think they will challenge this time," Rooney told reporters. "They have made some really good signings, British players, and under Kenny Dalglish I'm sure they will be trying harder than they ever have done, fighting to be up there. They will think they have a chance of winning the title next season.”

The 25-year-old also conceded that neighbor Manchester City is likely to contend for top spot this campaign, having ended its 35-year trophy drought with May’s FA Cup victory.

When asked if City will challenge for the league, Rooney said: “You'd think so. They've obviously got a lot of good players now and they had a big push towards the end of last 
season.
"The main ones will be Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool and City. I think one of them will push us as we try to defend our title."

There have also been a number of new arrivals at Old Trafford with the signings of Phil Jones, David de Gea and Ashley Young, and Rooney believes an injection of youth into the side will only serve to increase the hunger to win further titles.

"We've seen again how Ash can cross the ball," he continued. "There have been a lot of changes this summer and, when you look around the dressing room now, suddenly it's a lot younger place.

"But the manager is bringing in players who have not won a league title before and they all have that hunger and desire to want to win trophies."

The former Everton man bagged a 20-minute hat-trick in United’s preseason friendly with the Seattle Sounders on Wednesday, and following a mixed campaign last year for the striker, in which he handed in a transfer request at Old Trafford, he now believes he will show his true ability in the new season.

"I'm a player who wants to do well all the time and I know I can always improve," he added. "So if I keep working and practicing, hopefully I can do that. I don’t really set targets but it would be nice if I can get through the season injury-free. That would be a big boost for me.

"I hope that I’m going to get better and better. I work and practice hard every day to try to achieve that so if I do that it’ll be great for me and the club.”

No comments:

Post a Comment