Tuesday 19 July 2011

Manchester United's David de Gea: Atletico Madrid will always have a place in my heart


The English champions' recent import tells supporters that the Vicente Calderon side will always be important to him, and hopes to return one day.

By Enis Koylu

Jul 18, 2011 8:12:00 AM 


Manchester United's David de Gea has issued an open letter to Atletico Madrid's fans in which he explains that playing for the Spanish side was a dream come true, and says that he hopes to return one day to the club that gave him his start in professional football.

The 20-year-old completed his 20 million euros move to the Premier League champions two weeks ago, ending his association with the club he supported as a boy.

"I had the sole aim of defending the goal at the Vicente Calderon. A little over a year and a half ago, I achieved my dream - winning two titles [the 2010 Europa League and European Super Cup]. I will never forget that feeling, I will never forget the people's faces painted red and white," de Gea said in a statement.

"Today, I undertake a new challenge with the same enthusiasm of a boy, and [have] an eternally grateful feeling that I will carry forever in my heart regardless of what emblem is on the shirt I'm wearing."

De Gea will replace the retiring Edwin van der Sar and admitted his excitement at the prospect of playing at Old Trafford, but says he hopes to represent Atletico again in the future.

"This is what happens for me now - there are tears for what I am leaving behind and smiles for the illusion of something new, but also the confidence that someday I will return. Thanks for everything," he stated in his message.

No comments:

Post a Comment