Friday 23 September 2011

Man Utd legend Keane: Ferguson axing still cuts deep

Fri, 09/23/2011

Manchester United legend Roy Keane admits his axing by manager Sir Alex Ferguson still burns.

The former Reds captain broke his foot at Liverpool in September 2005 and then a month later sparked controversy with alleged criticism of team-mates after a 4-1 league defeat at Middlesbrough.

The MUTV interview was never aired but then, in the November, Keane’s United career ended abruptly following a reportedly acrimonious meeting with Ferguson and he left by ‘mutual consent’.

“When I left Manchester United, it hurt me. I had a disagreement with the manager,” said Keane.

“I went in at 9 and by ten past nine I was out. That really hurt me."

The breakdown of the relationship with the United manager shocked many who believed the pair were of the same mind and had a solid manager-captain bond.

“People misunderstood my relationship with the manager. They think I met him every morning for tea. It wasn't like that,” the Irishman added.

“He knew exactly what he wanted of me, and I knew it. He didn't have to say anything. That's why he got me, and when he made me captain, it was an honour for me to be captain of the greatest club in the world.”

No comments:

Post a Comment