Thursday 1 September 2011

Duo hope for England debuts


Tom Cleverley and Phil Jones are hoping to make their England debuts in Friday night's Euro 2012 qualifier with Bulgaria.
Cleverley is grateful for another chance to impress after reliving an embarrassing first impression in senior training with Jones finding his team-mate's own goal very amusing in the exclusive interview with FATV.
"It was an own goal in a full-sided game," the midfielder recalled. "I was gutted the game got called off anyway but it meant I had to leave on the own goal really.
"At least I scored in my first session! I tried rolling back to Rob Green and it came off my shin and ended up flying in the net. It was a pretty embarrassing moment for me."
Jones admitted Wayne Rooney has helped him settle in to the senior set-up under Fabio Capello.
"He's Wayne Rooney - a good character and a lively character," said the defender. "He's been very helpful and understanding and has certainly made me feel welcome at international level and on club duty. He's a fantastic player and you can only learn from him. It's great to have him around.
"Everyone's world-class players here and it's about the collective team spirit. We've got to come together and produce the goods on Friday night. There's no fear, just excitement to get out there."
Cleverley echoed those sentiments as he relishes his first taste of an England international after missing out on a debut against Holland due to the riots in London.

"There's a good vibe," he stressed. "Everyone seems in good form for their clubs.
"It's my first experience of senior international football and I'm expecting quite a hostile environment as their fans and players will be up for it. So I'm expecting a tough test."

No comments:

Post a Comment